Don’t let your dog be a Christmas casualty!

With Christmas only a matter of weeks away, you may already be stocking up on lots of yummy goodies to nibble on over the festive period.

This is a really fun time of the year, with lots of tempting treats including, nuts, cakes, mince pies and chocolates within easy reach of your dog’s inquisitive nose!  Sadly, these treats that are delicious for us can be toxic and dangerous for our dogs!

 

 

Here’s our guide on what not to feed your pooch this Christmas:

  1. Grapes, Raisins, Sultanas and Currants

Don’t let your dog snaffle any Mince pies or Christmas cake over the festive season.  Tasty as these delicious treats are, they are also jam packed with raisins, sultanas and currants, which are all toxic to dogs.  Grapes should also be avoided, as fatalities have been known to happen from feeding as few as 4-5 grapes!  The reason for the toxicity in dogs is currently unknown and no amount is deemed safe to feed.

  1. Onions, Garlic, Spring Onions & Chives (Allium Family)

Everyone loves stuffing and bread sauce at Christmas with their turkey and a good smothering of rich gravy, is irresistible. However, don’t be tempted to share these foods and gravy with your dog, as they may contain onions, garlic or chives  – all of which can be toxic to our furry friends (dried, cooked and raw forms are also toxic).

  1. Turkey bones

Christmas dinner would not be complete without a tasty turkey to share with the family.  Feeding your furry friend some turkey (as they are family after all!) is a lovely Christmas treat. Just make sure that it’s bone free, as turkey bones (especially cooked ones) can be brittle and splinter and can potentially puncture your dog’s digestive tract or cause an obstruction.  So always remove the turkey from the bone before feeding it to your dog, to avoid an emergency operation this Christmas!

  1. Chocolate (Milk, Dark and Drinking Chocolate)

Chocolate and Christmas seem to go hand in hand and a cheeky chocolate or a tasty slice of Yule-log is an indulgence that we all enjoy.  We even use chocolates to decorate our Christmas trees!  Sadly, it causes more than just an increase in the waistline for our dogs, and is toxic! This is due to cocoa containing a chemical (theobromine) that dogs cannot tolerate.  The darker the chocolate the higher the cocoa content, the more toxic it will be for your dog (this includes drinking chocolate too!). White chocolate is the least toxic, containing only negligible amounts of cocoa.

So, make sure if you do use chocolate-tree decorations this year that they are placed securely on only the highest branches.  Also, avoid leaving any wrapped chocolate goodies under the tree, as your dog will quickly sniff these out too!

  1. Mouldy cheeses (e.g. Stilton, Danish Blue etc.)

Mouldy cheeses such as blue cheeses may not be everyone’s cup of tea, as they do smell like old socks after all!  However, they are often included on the cheese board at Christmas.  But don’t be tempted to slip any to your dog under the table, as the mould on these cheeses is actually toxic to dogs!

  1. Nuts (macadamia and mouldy nuts)

Nuts are great for snacking on whilst your waiting for your Christmas dinner or watching a festive film on the TV.  However, avoid giving your dog any nuts, as not only are they very fatty and can cause pancreatitis, macadamia nuts are also toxic to dogs!  Dogs are also very sensitive to the mould that can quickly form on nuts, so ensure all nuts are tucked securely away up high in a cupboard.

  1. Sweets & Treats

Father Christmas may have left some lovely sweets and treats in your stocking this year, but don’t be tempted share them with your furry best friend or leave them somewhere they can sniff out.  Many sweets and treats contain xylitol, which is an artificial sweetener.  This is toxic for dogs and can result in a sudden drop in their blood sugar and collapse.  Less obvious sources of xylitol include porridge and peanut butter!

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*